11 December 2017
- 2 x sweet pastry dough
- 550g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 150g sugar
- 60ml red wine
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg to brush the top
- 1 tbsp sugar to sprinkle
- Make two portions of sweet pastry dough. Put the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan mix together cranberries, sugar, wine, zest, and mixed spice. Cook over a medium heat until berries release their juices. Bring it to boil.
- Mix cornstarch with 2-3 tbsp of cold water and add to the cranberry filling. Mix thoroughly and let it boil for 1 minute. Let the filling cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Roll out the first disc of pie crust and line a 20-23cm pie dish with it. Trim the edges.
- Roll out the second disc of pie crust and cut out the design (you can use cookie cutters, or you can make stripes with a knife).
- Fill the pie crust with a filling, dot with butter and decorate the top with the rest of the dough.
- Whisk the egg with 1 tbsp water and brush the top of the pie with it. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let it cool before cutting.