3 December 2017
- 180ml spiced rum
- 400g dried fruits (cranberries, raisins, currants, cherries)
- 60g flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice*
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
*see the link above
- Preheat the oven to 165C. Line a 23cm square baking pan with parchment.
- In a saucepan mix dried fruits with rum, and simmer over a medium heat until the fruits absorb almost all of the liquid.
- In a large bowl combine egg with sugar and vanilla extract. Add flour, soda, salt, and mixed spice.
- Add chopped walnuts and fruits. Mix well.
- Press the mixture into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes until dry to touch.
- Let it cool and cut into bars.
Here is how to make mixed spice at home.